Is Chinese MG better to drive than a Focus ?

Started by F Body, April 14, 2010, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

The MG6 will go on sale in the UK next year, and Autocar's chief road tester has had an exclusive drive

Contrary to what many people think, the MG6 - or Roewe 550 as it's called in China - is a clean sheet design, and not based on a shortened Rover 75 platform.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/MG-Motor-MG6/248727/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/MG-Motor-MG6/248727/

HardRockCamaro

I want to see a crash test video first...

Gator

Fieldy

It needs to be brilliant in every way to start selling even a small amount in the UK..... Good luck

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Fieldy

It needs to be brilliant in every way to start selling even a small amount in the UK..... Good luck

no it doesn't, it just needs to be cheap, and it will be.

be afraid, be VERY afraid, they will be everywhere, kia, proton and hyundai will have a LOT to worry about..

Big Mouse

I hate to say it but Phil is probably right.

The Chinese have been making rip off cars for ages, cars with poor safety records, poor reliability etc but it wasn't going to take them long to work out that with their manufacturing power and cheap labour they could start producing good quality euro type boxes very cheaply.

I was speaking to a buyer for a large manufacturer at the beginning of the week whose company imports a lot of stuff from China. He's seen a massive change in the chinese outlook to manufacturing process; they are looking past the cheap imitation, second or third best type market now and focusing on good quality primary purchase goods which they can still sell cheaper than european makers

If they ever decide to go after the business users market in a big way then Ford and Vauxhall better look out

Most business leaders have been looking out for this for years, its now on our doorstep

philoldsmobile

the British bike industry failed because it didn't take the japanese bike industry seriously...

the Japanese / european scooter industry is in major shit because it didn't take the chinese scooter industry seriously

history often repeats itself.......

HardRockCamaro

The Taiwanese bikes are a lot better than the Chinese bikes, but of course, as was the case with the Japanese, the Chinese (or the top brands in China at least) are getting better.

I don't think it's necessarily going to be a case of people buying them en masse because they're cheap, or even if they're better (at least not initially).

Daewoo were cheap but crap and got nowhere, the same goes for Proton although Huyndai and Kia are doing better (but are still negligible in terms of sales numbers compared to the usual brands).  Lexus were cheaper than the competition and arguably better but they have the wrong bade, no heritage, no heritage.  While super successful in the US where badge prestige means very little, in Europe they always finish last in sales compared to our prestige marques.  When you're buying a premium product the name matters, it's not about performance or value.  this is why people buy a Rolex over a much higher performing Casio or even Seiko.

philoldsmobile

kia are making big moves in the market place now, and especially in the Us where the badge means nothing, they are really shifting a lot of cars.

The chinese bikes are making good inroads - my old sanya (2008 model) did 10,000 flat out miles with virtually no maintenance and no real problems, so the quality was acceptable, if not top drawer.